Much like Spring, Fall brings with it a sense of new beginnings (hello, new school year!). But that’s not all! It also heralds a crop of fun activities, fabulous fashion and flavourful, festive food.
One thing that comes to mind when you think about Fall… Thanksgiving. And there’s nothing we love more than a fabulous meal surrounded by loved one. Traditionally, Thanksgiving meals are heavy on the turkey, ham, roast. Why not try a meatless meal this year? Here are a few ideas that will make you forget about the missing meat.
• Beyond Meat: this meat-alternative comes in burgers and sausages at all major grocers across the country. You don’t have to use the burgers as-is; you can hash them into small pieces for meatless sauces, stews, and more.
• Gardein: also available at most grocers in the freezer section, they offer Stuffed Turk’y complete with gravy, an ideal substitute for a traditional bird,
• Tofurkey: also found in the freezer section, come the holidays, they have a complete fake turkey dinner available, and it feeds 2-4.
• Side dishes: sweet mashed potatoes, corn, stuffing, cranberry sauce.
Stock up on your grocery gift cards before you scoop up your meat-alternatives.
If you’re not the type the cooking type, why not order meal kits from HelloFresh? That way you’ll be in-and-out of the kitchen in about 30 minutes with chef-inspired meals everyone will love.
Of course, fall favourites include Halloween candy. Grab yours from Walmart to make sure you’re ready for trick-or-treaters.
Fashion in the Fall is something special – we don’t know anyone who doesn’t love a chunky sweater and boots! It’s that perfect time of year when you can still enjoy the mild weather but are more likely to do it in socks. The change in seasons means that you need to start preparing for the cooler and colder months ahead. Layering is a fall fashion must.
There are certain pieces that are considered wardrobe staples and will get you through the bulk of the fall and winter months. These staples should be pieces you invest in that are not only high-end so they last you a long time, but also timeless. For that, we recommend shopping luxury because the investment will pay off in dividends, year after year. Even Hudson’s Bay offers luxury pieces, which are worth looking into.
• The perfect peacoat is made of wool, is double-breasted and goes to your waist.
• If you live in the Lower Mainland, you’ll probably trade a peacoat for a raincoat. Make sure it’s waterproof, has a hood, goes to mid-thigh or lower and is a neutral colour.
• A great pair of jeans never goes out of style; perfect for the cooler months.
• A black cardigan is also a must-have because with our inconsistent Canadian weather, you never know if you’ll need an extra goes-with-anything layer.
We would be remiss if we did not mention Halloween – the quintessential Fall holiday. Halloween costumes, Halloween décor, Halloween candy. It’s (arguably) the most wonderful time of the year. (Sorry December!) If you’re shopping for Halloween, check out these merchants for awesome deals you can snag from the comfort of your couch.
Of course, Autumn is a great time for a hike and to take in the beauty of changing leaves or take in a breath of extra-fresh air at the top of Grouse Mountain in North Vancouver.
Fall fairs, food festivals, pumpkin patches – something for everyone in the family and they happen across the country. You can even go for a hayride. And don’t forget to visit the haunted houses and corn mazes before they’re gone. Pro tip: buy your tickets online in advance to save money and your spot.
Canadian Tire is a great place to get anything and everything for Fall, including outdoor decorations, winter sports equipment (hockey gear or ice fishing) or outdoor lighting to beat the early sunsets. And, Amazon is perfect for all your costume and themed décor needs, bulk candy, and basically anything else you might need.