Ebates Is Now Rakuten: Everything You Need to Know
We’ve changed our name from Ebates to Rakuten. Aside from the new name and logo, our member experience is virtually unchanged. Here are some common questions and answers related to this change.
Is this really Ebates?
Yes! Ebates has been a Rakuten company since 2014. The same team that brought you Ebates is part of the Rakuten family.
What has changed?
Almost nothing, except that in places you’re used to seeing the name Ebates, you now see Rakuten instead.
- The icons and logos have been updated on our website, app and browser extension.
- Our URL has changed. If you navigate to ebates.ca, you’re redirected to the new version of our site at rakuten.ca
- Your emails should now be coming from Rakuten and Rakuten Member Services.
- If you receive your payments via Big Fat Cheque, it will have a new look with the Rakuten logo.
- If you receive your payments via PayPal, it will come from Rakuten.
How does this affect me as a member?
The name change should have no effect on how you use our service. Everything else, including Cash Back, is the same as before.
Why did the name change?
We discuss the thinking behind our name change and how it affects members on our New Brand Announcement page.
What does the name “Rakuten” mean?
Rakuten is Japanese for “optimism.”
Are you a Japanese company now?
Rakuten is a multinational corporation with businesses all over the world. Our Americas Regional Headquarters is located in San Mateo, California, and we employ 2,500 people across the U.S. For more information, please visit our global corporate site.
Do I have to do anything?
You shouldn’t need to, but there are a few things that might make things more convenient:
- If you’ve bookmarked ebates.ca, update your bookmarks to rakuten.ca.
- Add Rakuten and Rakuten Member Services to your approved sender list in email. This will help prevent your Cash Back notifications from getting filtered out of your inbox.
- Keep your app up-to-date.
- Advanced: Are you using a pop-up blocker? If you’ve whitelisted Ebates to allow Cash Back shopping to work with your blocker, you’ll need to update those settings to add Rakuten as a trusted site.
I’ve referred people to Ebates. Will I still get paid?
Yes! You’re eligible to earn referral bonuses whether the members you refer purchase through the Ebates or Rakuten service.